“My hope and purpose for each season’s collection is to inspire you to rework pieces you already own & update your closet with mindful pieces that mix well with what you already own. I want you to look into your closet with a new set of eyes & get excited about getting dressed again!”
What is a Capsule Wardrobe?
It’s a collection of pieces, in this case 30 pieces, that you mix and match to create different looks. Some people stick to capsule wardrobes strictly, not adding anything for an entire season. And some use a capsule as a home base, adding pieces strategically throughout a season. We will be doing both over here! Beginning today I will only wear & style the 30 items in the capsule for the next 30 days. Then after that, I will strategically add pieces here and there with purpose based on my needs from the first 30 days.
Who is a Capsule for?
It’s for women who want to feel confident, get inspired when they look into their closet, and get intentional about the pieces they add to it. Everything in the capsules I create are comfortable & chosen specifically with a mom in mind, but it can work for any woman who wants to get mindful about her wardrobe! I specifically create capsules with a variety of price point options, including budget-friendly options, so whether you are looking to add an investment pair of jeans or an affordable pair of heels – you have options!
If you are new to this capsule wardrobes, here is how I would tackle the capsule:
- Review this season’s capsule list
- Look into your closet and pull all of the items on the list that you already own
- Remove the pieces that don’t fit or you do not like anymore – I really recommend selling them or donating these pieces (unless you are in a big body change i.e pregnant – in that case pack them away). Most important part is to remove the pieces that are cluttering your creativity.
- Once you have the pieces you really love, count them & see what you are missing. If you have the budget, shop the links provided in the corresponding blog post to round out the capsule. If you don’t have a clothes budget, no worries, pull a few more basics & your favorite items you feel really good in (note: try to stay in a similar color scheme if you can) – try to get to 30 pieces including shoes.
- Once you have all the items together, start by creating a few days worth of looks. I recommend looking at your calendar and creating outfits based on what you have going on that week. This prep ahead of time will save you so much time in the morning, freeing you up to mom your heart out & still look pulled together! *Don’t forget accessories- put your necklace, hair scarf, purse, etc… with your outfits. Really have fun with this part!
- Start remixing! I challenge you to wear only the 30 items you have curated for an entire month! No need to buy anything new (you totally can if you want, there are no exact rules to this challenge!) but ideally, you are getting creative & saving money at the same time.
My hope and purpose for each season’s collection is to inspire you to rework pieces you already own & update your closet with mindful pieces that mix well with what you already own. I want you to look into your closet with a new set of eyes & get excited about getting dressed again! Best part, you can do this on a budget! I scour the internet for lots of price point options for each item so you don’t have to! I want to make getting dressed & feeling confident as easy as possible for moms, because we all know our free time is extremely limited! I try & pick a lot of staple pieces in hopes you have some version of many of the pieces already in your closet, thus limiting what you actually need to buy. The most important part of capsule remixes is getting creative & having fun with it!
If you join in & post your outfits use hashtags #ddssummercapsule & #ddscapsuleremixchallenge so I can follow along with you & see all of your looks!